About the Journal
The title of the journal in English: “Numerical Methods and Programming”.
The title of the journal in Russian: “Вычислительные методы и программирование”.
The transliterated title of the journal: “Vychislitel'nye Metody i Programmirovanie”.
The journal has been published since 2000.
Frequency: 4 issues per year (since 2006).
The founder and publisher of the journal is the Research Computing Center of Lomonosov Moscow State University (RCC MSU).
The journal is registered with the Federal Agency for Press and Mass Communications as a mass medium - a scientific electronic periodical (certificate of registration No. 77-4356, ISSN 1726-3522).
The journal is included in the Higher Attestation Commission (Russian Federation) List of leading peer-reviewed scientific journals and publications in which the main scientific results of dissertations for the degree of doctor of science and phD should be published.
Bibliographic information on published articles is placed in the scientific citation database of the RSCI.
Articles published in the journal are assigned doi (since 2015).
Aims & Scope
The journal publishes works in the following areas and scientific specialties:
- Methods and algorithms of computational mathematics and their applications for solving scientific and technical problems.
The publication should contain new results obtained in the field of methods and algorithms for solving problems of computational mathematics, mathematical modeling and computational experiments, test problems and research to determine the applicability of algorithms, parallel software implementation of problems of computational mathematics. Reviews of methods and software are published, containing recommendations for their application.
- Parallel software and technologies for solving problems of computational mathematics and its scientific and technical applications.
Articles related to numerical software targeted at supercomputers and parallel architecture computing systems.
Researches in the field of theory and technology of designing programs of computational mathematics and its scientific and technical applications, as well as their integration into software systems (development of taxonomy and classifications of problems and methods, disciplines and programming techniques, technological processes for compiling numerical programs for computers with parallel architecture, methods for conducting computational experiments, etc.).
The results of research on the development of tools for automating the design, operation and maintenance of numerical programs and software systems for computers of various architectures (development of problem-oriented languages, means of remote access and organization of interactive modes, data visualization, conversions of numerical programs and display of computational algorithms on computer architecture, means of verification and macro-generation of programs, macro-extensions of algorithmic languages, preprocessors and macro-processors, etc.) are accepted for publication.
Language of publications
Articles are accepted for publication in Russian and English.
Journal “Numerical Methods and Programming” strictly adheres to the international publication ethics standards set by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE: Committee on Publication Ethics, http://publicationethics.org).
Authors of publications voluntarily undertake to adhere to the following ethical standards:
- The authors are responsible for the accuracy of the research results, the content of the article and for the very fact of its publication.
- Authors should not submit to the journal materials for publications that are under consideration in another journal, as well as articles published in other journals. Authors should be aware that submitting the same article to different publications is a violation of publication ethics.
- The authors guarantee that they submit to the editorial board of the journal original articles, previously unpublished anywhere, free from plagiarism and scientific falsifications. If the authors use their own previously published results as a basis for the presented article, then they are obliged to indicate references to these results and specify what new results were obtained in comparison with the previous ones.
- Authors should refer to works that were important in the study, as well as acknowledge those who have made significant contributions to the work. Borrowed fragments or statements must be made with the obligatory indication of the author and the original source.
- Authors should not divide a holistic research into several publications in order to increase their number. Significant in terms of volume of work can, in agreement with the editors, be published in several issues of the journal.
- All co-authors of the manuscript warrant that they have made significant contributions to the research.
- The authors provide in the article an exhaustive list of sources of financial support for the study and the role of these sources in the study.
- Authors must adhere to the rules of paper design accepted in the journal.
- Authors must explicitly agree with the rules for preparing articles for publication, including peer review, scientific and literary editing, and bringing articles to editorial standards accepted within the journal.
- The authors must express their consent to the transfer to the journal of the right to publish and distribute the article in electronic and paper versions, including the placement of bibliographic information about the article in scientific citation bases, as well as the placement of the full text of the article in the Scientific Electronic Library (elibrary.ru) for free access to all Internet users, regardless of their category and location.
- If the authors find any inaccuracies in an already published article, then they are obliged to inform the members of the editorial board of the journal and jointly participate in correcting the publication.
- In case of violation of the rules of publication ethics by the editors, or if there are unresolved disagreements with the editors, the authors have the right to file a complaint with the Scientific Publications Ethics Council of the Association of Scientific Editors and Publishers (ASEP)
Responsibilities of reviewers
- The main task of the reviewer is an objective and prompt assessment of the correspondence of the submitted articles to the subject of the journal, scientific novelty and the level of the presented results, the quality of preparation of materials; formulating recommendations for the publication of materials, their revision or rejection with respect to the due level of confidentiality, following the generally accepted standards of objectivity COPE, ensuring non-disclosure of information and promptly reporting conflicts of interest.
- The reviewer in his comments and recommendations should provide single-blind peer review without revealing his identity to the author.
- Any manuscript submitted for review should be considered a confidential document. It is unacceptable to show it to other reviewers or discuss it with other experts without the prior permission of the editor-in-chief.
- One of the important tasks of the reviewer's activity is the improvement of materials and manuscripts, the publication of which in the journal is of interest to the scientific community and can make a significant contribution to the development of branches of science within the scope of the journal's topics, through comments and suggestions to the authors.
- The reviewer makes a significant contribution to the activities of the scientific journal. His peer review serves as the basis for editorial decisions to be made by the editorial board.
- Taking into account the high rhythm of modern scientific life, the publication of significant scientific results should take place as soon as possible. Based on this, the reviewer selected for the evaluation of the work, who believes that the level of his qualifications or the time resources available to him are insufficient for the operational review of the research presented in the scientific work, must notify the editor about this and abandon the review process.
- Reviews of scientific papers must be objective. The personal criticism of the author by the reviewer is categorically inappropriate. Reviewers are required to express their views clearly, to the point and reasonably.
- Peer reviewers should identify papers relevant to the research and previously published in peer-reviewed journals that have not been properly cited or cited by the authors.
- The reviewer is also obliged to draw the attention of the editor to any significant or partial similarity with any other work with which the reviewer is directly familiar.
- Unpublished materials used in the submitted manuscript should not be used in the reviewer's own research without the written consent of the author.
- Non-public information obtained during the review must remain confidential and not be used by the reviewer for personal gain.
The editor-in-chief and the editorial board of the journal undertake to follow the generally accepted norms of publishing ethics in relation to the authors of articles sent for publication:
- The decision to publish is made based on the results of assessing the reliability of the information presented in the article, scientific novelty, clarity of presentation, research and compliance of the work with the subject of the journal. Gender identification, race, citizenship, social status, political views and other attributes of the authors not related to scientific activity cannot serve as a reason for refusal to publish.
- All articles submitted to the editorial board undergo single-blind peer review. Reviewers must be experts on the subject of the submitted research, they must guarantee an objective assessment of the articles according to the criteria set out in clause 1, in particular, the absence of a conflict of interest, and clearly formulate their conclusions on the submitted articles, including an assessment of the possibility of their publication and recommendations for revision.
- The editorial board reserve the right to cancel the positive decision to publish the material in the event of serious violations of publication ethics that were missed at the stage of reviewing.
- The editorial board of the journal ensures the confidentiality of any information about the submitted articles until the moment of their publication. The knowledge gained in the process of editing and reviewing cannot be used for the purpose of obtaining personal gain before the publication of the article.
- The editorial board does not allow the publication of articles with signs of plagiarism. The presence of borrowing without reference to the source, unofficial citation and paraphrasing, assignment of rights to the results of other people's research are considered plagiarism and are sufficient grounds for rejection of the article.
- The editorial board takes measures to identify and prevent the publication of articles reflecting research in the course of which there were violations of the law; including, for this purpose, information about such offenses received from external sources is carefully considered.
- The editorial board of the journal has the right to withdraw an already published article and, if appropriate, return it to the authors for revision, if the publication of the article entailed a violation of someone's rights or generally accepted norms of scientific ethics.
- The editors are ready to publish corrections, explanations, refutations and apologies related to previously published articles, including in case of receipt of relevant requests from the authors.
- In case of revealing violations of publication ethics on the part of the authors, the editors ask the authors for clarifications; in case of an unsatisfactory answer, the editorial board has the right to contact the employer of the authors or the competent executive authorities.
- The editorial board does not leave unanswered the authors' comments regarding both their published works and those accepted for publication.
- The editorial board of the journal adheres to the established terms of publication if the authors fulfill the necessary requirements for articles.
- The editor-in-chief may apply to the Association of Scientific Editors and Publishers (ASEP) to resolve ethical disputes between the editorial board and the authors of the articles.
- The editorial board of the journal is not responsible for any damage caused by the publication of the article.
Peer review model
All articles submitted to the editorial board of the journal “Numerical Methods and Programming” undergo single-blind peer review.
Reviewers must be experts on the subject of the submitted research, they must guarantee an objective assessment of the articles according to the criteria set forth in the Publication Ethics and clearly formulate their conclusions on the submitted materials, including an assessment of the possibility of their publication and recommendations for revision.
Subject editors assigned to the article are responsible for choosing reviewers and inviting them to evaluate an article.
They send out invitations until the article has at least two reviewers who have agreed to rate it.
Reviewers working on the assessment of the article are considered to have accepted all the provisions of the Publication Ethics of the journal and agree with their responsibilities set forth in it.
Reviewers objectively and promptly evaluate the correspondence of the submitted articles to the subject of the journal, scientific novelty and the level of the presented results, the quality of materials preparation.
As a result of the assessment, the reviewers formulate recommendations for the publication of materials and their revision or reject the article with the due level of confidentiality, following the generally accepted standards of objectivity of COPE, ensuring non-disclosure of information and promptly informing about conflicts of interest.
Subject editors may conduct as many rounds of peer review as necessary to fulfill all of the recommendations made by the reviewers.
If in the course of reviewing within a month after requesting a new version of the article from the author, taking into account the corrections and recommendations from the reviewers, the author does not provide it, then the article and work on it will be "frozen". If the new version is still not sent by the author within the next three months after this, the article will be rejected. At the same time, the author has the opportunity to resubmit the article to the journal again.
Scope & article eligibility
The journal “Numerical Methods and Programming” publishes scientific and research articles in the field of methods and algorithms of computational mathematics, their applications for solving scientific and technical problems, as well as parallel software and technologies for solving problems of computational mathematics and its scientific and technical applications.
The task of the reviewers is to assess the compliance of the submitted articles with the described topic and the level of its scientific novelty.
Peer reviewer code of conduct
The peer review process is a vital component of scholarly publishing, and we greatly appreciate the work our reviewers do for us and thank them for the time and effort they put into evaluating articles, as peer review is an invaluable contribution to the scientific community.
To ensure that peer review in the journal “Numerical Methods and Programming” is constructive and helpful to authors, readers, and other reviewers, we ask the reviewers for the following:
- read the entire article (please read the full article and view all related figures, tables and data);
- be careful (the review report should cover the article in full, as well as individual points, and must demonstrate your understanding of the article);
- be specific (your comments should contain as much detail as possible, with links where appropriate, so that authors can completely eliminate the shortcomings and mistakes);
- be constructive in your criticism (feel free to include any mistakes or criticism you may have in your review, however, please do so in a constructive and respectful manner);
- avoid derogatory comments or tone (review the way you want to be reviewed, and make sure your comments are focused on the scientific content of the article in question, and not on the authors themselves).
In addition to the above, reviewers should study the provisions of the Publication Ethics and strictly follow them.
If you are selected as a reviewer, you will receive a link to an invitation to review page.
On this page you can familiarize yourself with the description of the peer-reviewed article, the file for peer-review, and the terms for sending the review.
On the same page, you are expected to record your consent to proceed with the review.
After your consent to reviewing, a page with a form for sending a file with a review will be available to you on the site.
All reviewing activities require authorization on the journal's website.
We also ask reviewers to prepare a review reflecting their assessment of the article, including any constructive criticism they may have and suggestions for improvement.
Please note that reviews must be written in good Russian or English (depending on what the author understands).
The editorial board of the journal can contact you if they need additional clarifications or details.
During the review process, authors can submit a revision of their article in response to the reviewer's comments.
When this happens, a new version of the article is uploaded for review, and the original reviewers are re-invited to review (in case they indicated when submitting the original review that they want to see the article again).
Then, the reviewers are expected to send a review of the article again, taking into account the changes.
Peer review rounds continue until the reviewers have no complaints about the submitted article.
How to become a journal reviewer
An invitation to become a reviewer in the journal can be received by any author who has previously published in it (can be selected for reviewing articles on topics similar to his work), any expert in the areas included in the topic of the journal (if the expert has registered on the site and indicated in his profile the area of interests, as well as consent to the invitation as a reviewer), as well as unregistered on the site, but recognized authoritative experts, whose contacts are at the disposal of the subject editors.
In the second case, the editorial staff of the journal may additionally request an expert's resume to assess his competence on the subject of the article.
For authors, the publication of articles is free.
Copyright for the publisher
To protect the rights and interests of both parties, the Research Computing Center of Lomonosov Moscow State University (RCC MSU), an exclusive license is required, which clearly defines our rights and special rights reserved by the authors. We ask each author to provide the RCC MSU with this exclusive license after the article has passed the reviewing stage and a decision has been made to publish the article in our journal.
Thus, RCC MSU agrees to publish the article and has the right to:
- publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the article;
- to translate the article into other languages;
- use the article to create adaptations, reprints and create summaries, excerpts and / or abstracts;
- create any other derivative works based on the article;
- include electronic links from the article to third-party materials;
- license any third party to do any or all of the above;
- initiate legal proceedings on behalf of the copyright owner if the author(s) believes that a third party is infringing or may infringe the copyright of the article.
Authors are allowed to use their own articles for non-commercial purposes without obtaining permission from the Research Computing Center of Moscow State University. But for commercial use, we need to be aware of this.
The authors reserve the right to:
- post a PDF file with your article to fellow researchers for educational purposes only;
- make a reasonable number of copies for personal or non-commercial use;
- republish part or all of the article in a book or other publication edited by the author (with the exception of several articles in one book or publication);
- use illustrations and research data in their future works;
- use the article in course packages at the authors' institution (does not apply if a commercial fee is charged for the compilation or training program);
- use the work for further research and presentations at meetings;
- reuse the published manuscript in whole or in part in other works for non-commercial purposes, while the original publication in the journal of the RCC MSU should be marked by means of a note or reference in a format acceptable to the RCC MSU;
- to use your own materials in other publications, provided that the journal is indicated as the original place of publication and the journal of the RCC MSU “Numerical Methods and Programming” is notified in writing and in advance.
Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY)
All articles published by RCC MSU in the journal “Numerical Methods and Programming” may be redistributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY) 4.0..
Thus, anyone can copy, distribute and transmit the article, provided that the original article and source are cited correctly.
Long-term deep archiving and digital preservation policy
All issues of the journal “Numerical Methods and Programming” are uploaded article by article to the scientific electronic library https://elibrary.ru and to the portal for searching scientific information on mathematics, physics, information technology and related sciences http://mathnet.ru.
Additionally printed obligatory copies of each issue are also transferred to the Russian Book Chamber (Legal Deposit).