An orthogonal power method of solving the partial eigenproblem for a symmetric nonnegative definite matrix
Keywords:eigenvector, eigenvalue, conjugate direction method, Krylov subspaces
An efficient version of the conjugate direction method to find a nontrivial solution of a homogeneous system of linear algebraic equations with a singular symmetric nonnegative definite square matrix is proposed and substantiated. A one-parameter family of one-step nonlinear iterative processes to determine the eigenvector corresponding to the largest eigenvalue of a symmetric nonnegative definite square matrix is also proposed. This family includes the power method as a special case. The convergence of corresponding vector sequences to the eigenvector associated with the largest eigenvalue of the matrix is proved. A two-step procedure is formulated to accelerate the convergence of iterations for these processes. This procedure is based on the orthogonalization in Krylov subspaces. A number of numerial results are discussed.
- D. K. Faddeev and V. N. Faddeeva, Computational Methods of Linear Algebra (Lan’, St. Petersburg, 2002; Freeman, San Francisco, 1963).
- G. H. Golub and H. A. van der Vorst, “Eigenvalue Computation in the 20th Century,” J. Comput. Appl. Math. 123 (1-2), 35-65 (2000).
- D. S. Watkins, The Matrix Eigenvalue Problem: GR and Krylov Subspace Methods (SIAM, Philadelphia, 2007).
- V. V. Voevodin and Yu. A. Kuznetsov, Matrices and Computations (Nauka, Moscow, 1984) [in Russian].
- S. K. Godunov, Modern Aspects of Linear Algebra (Nauchnaya Kniga, Novosibirsk, 1997; Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, 1998).
- G. Meurant and Z. Strakoš, “The Lanczos and Conjugate Gradient Algorithms in Finite Precision Arithmetic,” Acta Numer. 15, 471-542 (2006).
- I. V. Kireev, “Inexpensive Stopping Criteria in the Conjugate Gradient Method,” Vychisl. Tekhnol. 20 (2), 44-55 (2015).
- V. V. Voevodin, Linear Algebra (Nauka, Moscow, 1980) [in Russian].
- V. V. Voevodin, Numerical Methods of Algebra: Theory and Algorithms (Nauka, Moscow, 1966) [in Russian].
- J. H. Wilkinson, The Algebraic Eigenvalue Problem (Clarendon, Oxford, 1965; Nauka, Moscow, 1970).
- B. N. Parlett, The Symmetric Eigenvalue Problem (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1980; Nauka, Moscow, 1983).
- H. L. Leslie (Ed.), Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications. Handbook of Linear Algebra (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2014).
- E. E. Ovtchinnikov, “Computing Several Eigenpairs of Hermitian Problems by Conjugate Gradient Iterations,” J. Comput. Phys. 227 (22), 9477-9497 (2008).
- V. I. Gorbachenko, Computational Linear Algebra with Examples in MATLAB (BKhV Press, St. Petersburg, 2011) [in Russian].