Deformation of tomograms for curvilinear tomography problems
Keywords:inverse problems, Radon transform, fan-beam tomography, curvilinear tomography, numerical simulation
Earlier in our works, it was proposed to apply the method of a fan-beam mapping into a set of parallel lines in the problems of fan-beam tomography. This was achieved by special deformation of the reconstracted tomogram at the stage of back projection of the measured and filtered projections, followed by the operation of reverse deformation. The deformation of the tomogram for each direction of observation will be different, but the one-to-one nature of these deformations allows you to return to the original coordinate system. In this paper, the method is generalized to a family of plane curvilinear trajectories that allow one-to-one transitions to parallel rays. For each back projection, the image is modulated by a known function following from the path differential of the given trajectory. The results of generalization of the FBP algorithm widely used in two-dimensional tomography methods are demonstrated by examples of parabolic, sinusoidal and fan-beam ray trajectories.
- F. Natterer, The Mathematics of Computerized Tomography (Teubner, Stuttgart, 1986; Mir, Moscow, 1990).
- S. Helgason, The Radon Transform (Birkhäuser, Boston, 1980; Mir, Moscow, 1983).
- S. R. Deans, The Radon Transform and Some of Its Applications (Wiley, New York, 1983).
- G. Ambartsoumian and P. Kuchment, “A Range Description for the Planar Circular Radon Transform,” SIAM J. Math. Anal. 38 (2), 681-692 (2006).
- M. Eller, P. Hoskins, and L. Kunyansky, “Microlocally Accurate Solution of the Inverse Source Problem of Thermoacoustic Tomography,” Inverse Probl. 36 (8) (2020).
- V. V. Nikitin, F. Andersson, M. Carlsson, and A. A. Duchkov, “Fast Hyperbolic Radon Transform Represented as Convolutions in Log-Polar Coordinates,” Comput. Geosci. 105, 21-33 (2017).
- J. Tasinkevych and I. Trots, “Circular Radon Transform Inversion Technique in Synthetic Aperture Ultrasound Imaging: An Ultrasound Phantom Evaluation,” Arch. Acoust. 39 (4), 569-582 (2014).
- S. Moon and J. Heo, “Inversion of the Elliptical Radon Transform Arising in Migration Imaging Using the Regular Radon Transform,” J. Math. Anal. Appl. 436 (1), 138-148 (2016).
- S. Moon, “Inversion of the Seismic Parabolic Radon Transform and the Seismic Hyperbolic Radon Transform,” Inverse Probl. Sci. Eng. 24 (2), 317-327 (2016).
- F. Monard, “Functional Relations, Sharp Mapping Properties, and Regularization of the X-Ray Transform on Disks of Constant Curvature,” SIAM J. Math. Anal. 52 (6), 5675-5702 (2020).
- C. Grathwohl, P. Kunstmann, E. T. Quinto, and A. Rieder, “Microlocal Analysis of Imaging Operators for Effective Common Offset Seismic Reconstruction,” Inverse Probl. 34 (11) (2018).
- C. Tarpau, J. Cebeiro, M. K. Nguyen, et al., “Analytic Inversion of a Radon Transform on Double Circular Arcs with Applications in Compton Scattering Tomography,” IEEE Trans. Comput. Imaging 6, 958-967 (2020).
- V. V. Pickalov, D. I. Kazantzev, and V. P. Golubyatnikov, “The Central Slice Theorem Generalization for a Fan-Beam Tomography,” Vychisl. Metody Programm. 7, № 2. 180-184 (2006).
- V. V. Pickalov and D. I. Kazantzev, “Iterative Restoration of Radon-Space Sinogram Disturbances for the Steganography Problem,” Vychisl. Metody Programm. 9, № 1. 1-9 (2008).
- D. Kazantsev and V. Pickalov, “New Iterative Reconstruction Methods for Fan-Beam Tomography,” Inverse Probl. Sci. Eng. 26 (6), 773-791 (2017).
- A. C. Kak and M. Slaney, Principles of Computerized Tomographic Imaging (IEEE Press, New York, 1988).
- B. K. Vainshtein, “Three-Dimensional Electron Microscopy of Biological Macromolecules,” Usp. Fiz. Nauk 109 (3), 455-497 (1973) [Sov. Phys. Usp. 16 (2), 185-206 (1973)].
- E. I. Vainberg, I. A. Kazak, and M. L. Faingoiz, “X-Ray Computerized Back Projection Tomography with Filtration by Double Differentiation. Procedure and Information Features,” Defektoskopiya, No. 2, 31-39 (1985) [Sov. J. Nondestruct. Test. 21 (2), 106-113 (1985)].
- A. Faridani, D. V. Finch, E. L. Ritman, and K. T. Smith, “Local Tomography II”, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 57 (4), 1095-1127 (1997).
- I. Yu. Kulakov, D. A. Vologin, and V. V. Pickalov, “A Multigrid Algorithm for the Fan-Beam ROI-Tomography of Contrast Objects,” Vychisl. Metody Programm. 14 (4), 543-548 (2013).
- E. Yu. Derevtsov and V. V. Pickalov, “Reconstruction of Vector Fields and Their Singularities from Ray Transforms,” Sib. Zh. Vych. Mat. 14 (1), 29-46 (2011) [Numer. Anal. Appl. 4 (1), 21-35 (2011).]
- J. W. Webber, E. T. Quinto, and E. L. Miller, “A Joint Reconstruction and Lambda Tomography Regularization Technique for Energy-Resolved X-Ray Imaging,” Inverse Probl. 36 (7) (2020).
- V. V. Pickalov, “Tomography Problems for Media with Low Refraction,” AIP Conf. Proc. 2288 (1) (2020).
- V. V. Pickalov, “Approximate Filtered Back-Projection Algorithm for Plane Curves in Tomography Problems,” J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 1715 (1) (2021).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 В. В. Пикалов
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.